Just another WordPress site
At the end of this month, on April 28th in Berlin and 29th in Munich, FEDELE, the publishers Edelsa and the Institutos Cervantes from Berlin and Munich are organising training days for teachers of Spanish.
The events will be meeting a double objective for professionals in the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language.
Firstly, participants will be able to take part in the various training workshops provided by Edelsa and secondly they will have personal experience of a wide range of Spanish immersion courses with different destinations in Spain, all of them at schools which are members of the Federation.
Participants at both events will also be able to take part in the draw for teaching materials from Edelsa and a grant for a place on the advanced course for Spanish teachers, “Play as a learning mechanism” (online from 3rd to 24th September), which is organised by FEDELE and the Instituto Cervantes.
David R. Sousa will be giving two workshops at both events: “Talking, you understand people: oral interaction in the Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom” and “Clues and strategies for preparing for the DELE exams”.
Photo copyright: John Morgan.
FEDELE is pleased to let our readers know that with the recent addition of two new schools, IDEALOG in Castelldefels and Academia Contacto en Madrid, our Federation now has ninety members.
These two newcomers and the work of all of the associations which make up our Federation have made FEDELE a significant player in the national panorama of Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language and the main representative of private schools in the sector.
FEDELE is made up of a series of regional associations which over recent years have been incorporated into the Federation: Español en Andalucía, with 29 schools; la Asociación de Escuelas de Español de Castilla y León, AEECyL, with 16; FEDELE Comunidad Valenciana, which has 15 schools; FEDELE Madrid, with 11; FEDELE Barcelona, 10; FEDELE Nacional, with 6 schools and the youngest of all the associations which has only recently been formed, FEDELE Baleares, with 3 schools.
The 5th Edinumen Teacher Training Session in Hong Kong will take place on the 10th and 11th March. Speakers at this year’s session include Daniel Cassany, José Gómez Asencio, Max Cortés and Liliana Pereyra all of whom are excellent speakers and have first –hand knowledge of the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language.
The workshops this year are organised in two groups: Practical Workshops and ICT Workshops “Getting Down to Work”. The proposals that have been selected can be seen online together with the complete programme.
As usual in the events organised by the publishers Edinumen, the University of La Rioja will be collaborating by holding a draw amongst the participants of the seminar for a grant to cover a post-graduate course in teaching Spanish as a second language to immigrants.
There will be a few novelties this year including cocktails for everyone attending the seminar.
Image rights: Wikimedia
The 2nd Conference for Teachers of Spanish, organised by the Instituto Cervantes, will take place at the University of Sofia in Bulgaria on the 22nd of April, with the idea of providing continuity with the conference held in October 2015.
This professional congress, which will take place in the Mirror Hall in the Spanish Department on the second floor of the Philology Faculty, is a result of collaboration between the Education Office of the Spanish Embassy in Bulgaria and the University of Sofia San Clemente de Ohrid. It will begin at nine o’clock and end at half past five, with two coffee breaks and an hour for lunch. Entry is by ulitza Sveti Kliment Ohrisdki.
Anyone interested in attending the conference should write to firstname.lastname@example.org before Tuesday 18th April. People interested in giving a paper should contact email@example.com before Friday 24th March.
Enrolment is free. More information can be found with this link.
Image copyright: Wikimedia.
Difusión, the publishers, are proposing that we enjoy two days in Madrid at their 8th Educational Conference for Teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language. They are organising the conference in collaboration with PROLINTER (Programme of Languages for Internationalisation) from the Universidad Politécnica in Madrid. SIELE, FEDELE and Madrid Destino are sponsoring the event and the Instituto Cervantes is taking part.
The conference will be held over two days, 3rd and 4th March 2017, at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Minas y Energía de la Universidad Politécnica, a building that has been declared a “historic and artistic monument”.
The programme for the conference is as follows:
Friday, 3rd March
- 15:00 – 15:30 Registration
- 15:30 – 15:45 Opening
- 15:45 – 16:45 Consuelo Triviño (Instituto Cervantes). From home language to universal language: Pan Hispanic Spanish in the era of globalisation.
- 16:45 – 17:00 Break
- 17:00 – 18:00 Rafael Bisquerra (University of Barcelona). The universe of emotions 18:00 – 18:15 Break
- 18:15 – 19:15 José Amenós (Universidad Complutense de Madrid). Not all close languages are the same: grammar and cognition, beyond transference.
- 19:30 – 20:30 Musical performance.
Saturday, 4th March
- 9:30 – 10:45 Simultaneous workshops (first time-slot)
10:45 – 11:15 Coffee break
- 11:15 – 12:45 José P. Ruiz Campillo (University of Columbia). A thousand imperfects, one imperfect: when grammar is image.
- 12:45 – 13:15 SIELE presentation
- 13:15 – 13:45 Difusión space
- 13:45 – 16:00 Break
- 16:15 – 18:15 Presentation of Difusión and PROLINTER (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid) prizes for 2017 for the best Spanish as a Foreign Language Teaching based on information and communication technology)
- 18:15 – 18:30 Raffle of teaching material
- 18:30 – 19:00 Presentation of certificates
The programme and all information is available on the Difusión webpage.
The 1st Conference on Language Tourism in the Madrid Autonomous Community will shortly be taking place. The slogan for the conference is “Madrid feels in Spanish”. The event will take place on the 2nd of February, beginning at 9 o’clock, at the Instituto Cervantes in calle Alcalá.
The Madrid Autonomous Community is organising the event in collaboration with the Instituto Cervantes and the Plataforma de Español. The Instituto Cervantes will provide a space for operators, businesses, schools of Spanish and schools working in language tourism, representatives of destinations with greater potential for development in this area and public institutions to discuss and exchange experiences of this type of tourism and the range of possibilities it offers.
The programme includes two main events:
- An initial round table discussion in which the Instituto Cervantes, the Plataforma del Español and the Department of Culture and Tourism of the Autonomous Community of Madrid will take part and give information on Spanish within the Autonomous Community of Madrid.
- A discussion of good practice and successful experiences in the Autonomous Community of Madrid, with representatives from the University of Alcalá and Madrid FEDELE, among others.
Photo copyright: Rick Lighelm
Once again we are announcing the 13th Forum for Teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language at the University of Valencia which will take place on the 10th and 11th of March.
The programme for this event, which has become a reference point for teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language, is as follows:
Friday, 10th March 2017
- 00 – 9.30 Enrolment and handing out of material
- 30 – 9.45 Opening
- 45 – 10.45 Opening talk: “The basics of pronunciation: doubts, certainties and the rest”, by Xose A. Padilla García (Universitat d’Alacant)
- 45 – 11.00 Break
- 00-12.30 Workshops A and D at the same time
- 30-14.00 Workshops D and B at the same time
- 00 – 17.30 Workshops B and C at the same time
- 30 – 18.00 Presentation by the publishers Difusión
- 00 – 18.30 Break. Coffee
- 30 – 20.00 Workshops A and C at the same time
- 00 Forum dinner (open to speakers and everyone attending the conference)
Saturday, 11th March 2017
- 30 – 11.30 Practical experiences
- 30 – 12.00 Break
- 00 – 14.00 Practical experiences
- 00 – 18.00 Practical experiences
- 00 – 18.30 Break. Coffee
- 30 – 19.30 Closing talk: “Corpus linguistics and and inductive grammar: an approximation”, by Inmaculada Martínez Martínez (CIESE-Comillas, Centro Internacional de Estudios Superiores del Español)
- 30 Prize draw and closure
The workshops being offered during the forum are:
- Mobile phones in the Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom: flexibility of activities, by Joan-Tomàs Pujolà Font (Universitat de Barcelona).
- The flipped classroom, everyone’s class, for everyone by Ana Martínez Lara (Editorial Difusión).
- Comics as a means of communication and creativity in the Spanish classroom, by Francisco José Herrera Jiménez (CLIC International House Cádiz).
- Interaction and collaboration in the Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom using social networks, by Pilar Concheiro Coello (University of Iceland / Verzlunarskóli Íslands).
The forum is directed by Antonio Briz Gómez, Virginia González García and Jorge Martí Contreras. For more information visit the forum webpage.
FEDELE is organising their annual convention again this year. It will take place on the 16th and 17th of February, in Madrid. There will be a meeting of the steering committee beforehand to decide on the specific topics to be dealt with.
Broadly speaking there will be a series of presentations and discussions on matters affecting member schools and the teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language here in Spain.
The conference will begin at 11.30 with a welcome from the president María del Carmen Timor who will then introduce the programme for the two days. This opens with a talk on the new aspects of the Accreditation System for the Instituto Cervantes’ Spanish as a Foreign Language Schools, followed by a presentation of SIELE by the team from Telefonica-TED. At the end of the morning, the Federation manager will comment on the most important aspects of the sectorial report of FEDELE.
The activities on Thursday afternoon begin with a presentation by the treasurer of the accounts of the Federation. This will be followed by a talk on tax law by José Manuel Cambra, from the administrative agency AUREN.
First thing on Friday morning a report will be given on FEDELE’s plan of action for 2017, at which point member schools will be able to offer their suggestions for the project. After the coffee break Pilar González Agudo will speak on reason and emotion in company leadership. At one o’clock there will be a debate on unqualified practice, unfair competition and good practice in the sector. And the conference will close with a presentation on employment law by Ignacio Sampere .
Image copyright: FEDELE
The portal redELE (a digital network for Spanish as a Foreign Language) is, without a doubt, one of the most long-standing publications dealing with Spanish as a Foreign Language. It is a service supplied by the Spanish Ministry of Education and is aimed at teachers all over the world.
RedELE contains different sections of information and the following publications are amongst the most important:
- The magazine, which has texts about teaching, teaching materials and ideas and information from conferences, all for teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language or a Second Language.
- The library, which has PhD theses and MA dissertations and other research papers.
The aim of the network, as explained on the webpage, is to offer “specific information on the teaching of Spanish and to contribute to teacher training”.
Other sections of redELE provide access to research like “The world studies Spanish”; basic information on Spanish in Spain; publications of the Ministry of Education Overseas (listed by country) and catalogues that the Resource Centres have available for teachers.
More information on their webpage.
Once again at this time of year we would like to propose a review of 2016, using the blog to see what 2016 has meant for FEDELE and for the Spanish as a Foreign Language sector. This summary of twelve pieces of news allows us to see a more global picture of the current situation of ELE.
- 2016 began with the announcement that the FEDELE Annual Meeting, the big annual event for schools and international agencies working with Spanish as a Foreign Language would take place in Alicante.
- In February it was announced that FEDELE would take part in the Olimpiadas del Españalo in Poznan, Poland.
- A month later we wrote about FEDELE’s sponsorship of the Torneo Internacional de Lenguas in Malmö, Suecia.
- In April we started up a new campaign on Instagram to publicise the FEDELE member schools on this social network.
- The following month we were pleased to present the new digital corporate image of FEDELE:new logo and webpage.
- In June we announced the programme for the course “Coping successfully with foreign language teaching: evaluating options and making decisions, organised by the Instituto Cervantes and at which our president, Mª Carmen Timor, presented the paper, “ How to convert a Spanish language programme into a life experience”.
- In July, we announced the organisation of the 7th International Conference for Spanish Language Schools (ECELE) in Sevilla
- And in August the participation of FEDELE in the Spanish Ambassador Competition 2016 in Hungary.
- During these months we also carried out the “Student of the Week” campaign so that member schools could become known to readers through the experience of students.
- And the blog has also provided a space for news which schools wanted to share with the ELE community – anniversaries, new premises and various events.
- In November we wrote about the new portal for the Instituto Cervantes’ exams where all the information about DELE, CCSE and SIELE exams is now centralised.
- And the year ended with news of the Prize for an outstanding academic career in the teaching of Spanish, this year awarded to Ernesto Martín Peris.
To all our readers, many thanks for being with us for another year and a Happy New Year!