Just another WordPress site
The 2nd Conference for Teachers of Spanish, organised by the Instituto Cervantes, will take place at the University of Sofia in Bulgaria on the 22nd of April, with the idea of providing continuity with the conference held in October 2015.
This professional congress, which will take place in the Mirror Hall in the Spanish Department on the second floor of the Philology Faculty, is a result of collaboration between the Education Office of the Spanish Embassy in Bulgaria and the University of Sofia San Clemente de Ohrid. It will begin at nine o’clock and end at half past five, with two coffee breaks and an hour for lunch. Entry is by ulitza Sveti Kliment Ohrisdki.
Anyone interested in attending the conference should write to email@example.com before Tuesday 18th April. People interested in giving a paper should contact firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday 24th March.
Enrolment is free. More information can be found with this link.
Image copyright: Wikimedia.
Once again we are announcing the 13th Forum for Teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language at the University of Valencia which will take place on the 10th and 11th of March.
The programme for this event, which has become a reference point for teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language, is as follows:
Friday, 10th March 2017
- 00 – 9.30 Enrolment and handing out of material
- 30 – 9.45 Opening
- 45 – 10.45 Opening talk: “The basics of pronunciation: doubts, certainties and the rest”, by Xose A. Padilla García (Universitat d’Alacant)
- 45 – 11.00 Break
- 00-12.30 Workshops A and D at the same time
- 30-14.00 Workshops D and B at the same time
- 00 – 17.30 Workshops B and C at the same time
- 30 – 18.00 Presentation by the publishers Difusión
- 00 – 18.30 Break. Coffee
- 30 – 20.00 Workshops A and C at the same time
- 00 Forum dinner (open to speakers and everyone attending the conference)
Saturday, 11th March 2017
- 30 – 11.30 Practical experiences
- 30 – 12.00 Break
- 00 – 14.00 Practical experiences
- 00 – 18.00 Practical experiences
- 00 – 18.30 Break. Coffee
- 30 – 19.30 Closing talk: “Corpus linguistics and and inductive grammar: an approximation”, by Inmaculada Martínez Martínez (CIESE-Comillas, Centro Internacional de Estudios Superiores del Español)
- 30 Prize draw and closure
The workshops being offered during the forum are:
- Mobile phones in the Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom: flexibility of activities, by Joan-Tomàs Pujolà Font (Universitat de Barcelona).
- The flipped classroom, everyone’s class, for everyone by Ana Martínez Lara (Editorial Difusión).
- Comics as a means of communication and creativity in the Spanish classroom, by Francisco José Herrera Jiménez (CLIC International House Cádiz).
- Interaction and collaboration in the Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom using social networks, by Pilar Concheiro Coello (University of Iceland / Verzlunarskóli Íslands).
The forum is directed by Antonio Briz Gómez, Virginia González García and Jorge Martí Contreras. For more information visit the forum webpage.
The 7th FONCEI (the National Forum for teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language organised by the Cervantes International School) will take place on the 27th and 28th of January 2017.
The slogan for the meeting is to be “Returning to Never Never Land” and the main subject to be discussed will be the teaching of Spanish to children and adolescents.
A series of questions has been proposed for discussion during the conference:
- How can creativity be awakened?
- What activities should I take to the classroom?
- What methods can I work with?
- How can critical thinking be encouraged?
- What games work?
- How can I improve participation?
- What do children and adolescents feel and think?
- How much can they retain?
- Do social networks help learning in the classroom?
- Is there an age for playing?
- Do publishers have suitable manuals for meeting the needs of these pupils?
Teachers working with children and adolescents are always thinking about what activities they can use and how to make their classes more attractive and keep their pupils attention.
The FONCEI will once again be counting on the participation of speakers from the sector and of various publishers.
The Malaga museum MUPAM will become a bridge to Never Never Land for the duration of the conference.
Information on the speakers and their workshops together with the enrolment form can be found on the conference web page. Enrolment is now open.
The 3rd conference on Training of Teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language will take place in a few weeks time in Istanbul. The conference is organised by the Directorate for Educational Programmes in Turkey, the Instituto Cervantes in Istanbul and the Spanish Department of the Bosphorus University. Teachers from different Turkish educational institutions and representatives of Spanish as a Foreign Language publishers will all be taking part. Following are some of the subjects to be addressed at the conference:
- CLIL projects
- Online materials
- Play and learn
- How to deal with mistakes
- The teaching of peculiarities
- Digital narratives
The last date for enrolment is the 30th November. There are sixty-five places available. The conference will be held in the Kuzey Park building at the Bosphoru University.
Image copyright: Wikimedia Commons.
Next February the University of Uppsala is organising a Spanish as a Foreign Language Conference in Stockhom. The event will be sponsored by the Instituto Cervantes of Uppsala.
The conference programme is as follows:
Friday 3rd February
8.30 – 9.00h: Enrolment and Welcome Coffee.
9.00 – 9.30h: Spanish as a Foreign Language in Swedish Schools Today. Possibilities and Challenges. Annika Nylén, FoU-enheten, Utbildningsförvaltningen, Stockholms stad
9.30 – 10.15h: Teaching materials for Spanish in secondary schools. Suzanne Astudillo Viklun
10.30 – 12.00h: Tasks as a means to learning a second language: 20 years of research and classroom experience. Francisco Herrera, CLIC International House, Cádiz
12.00 – 13.15h: Lunch
13.15 – 14.30h: Parallel workshops
- Strategies and Digital Tools for Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language. Lisa Källermark-Haya, Globala gymnasiet.
- Constructing a Class with Tasks. Nuria de la Torre, Instituto Cervantes, Stockholm.
- Tirar de la lengua…meta . Anca Mariana Chimoiu, Santosskolan.
- Hur får vi dem att prata?How can we get them to speak? (Workshop in Swedish). Söderblom (Kunskapsgymnasiet), Fredrika Nyström y Stina Säfström (Nya Elementar)
14.45 – 16.00h: Second session of parallel workshops.
Saturday, 4th February
9.00 – 10.00h: Googlers’ writing strategies. Kent Fredholm, Uppsala University
10.00 – 10.30h: Coffee
10.30 – 12.00h: Tasks and the social web: Motivation and personal environments for learning. Pilar Concheiro, University of Iceland
12.15h: Closing ceremony and lunch
The conference will be focusing on the training of Spanish teachers and aims to offer a panorama of the most recent innovative ideas to have appeared in the teaching of second languages. As can be seen in the programme, special attention will be paid to focuses on action and on communicative learning.
Anyone interested in enrolling can do so with this form.
Image copyright: Michael Caven.
The first conference on the new trends in the teaching of Spanish will take place in New York on the 4th and 5th November. The event is organised by the Instituto Cervantes together with Princeton and Columbia Universities.
The aims for the conference, according to the organisers, are twofold:
- Firstly, to analyse the current situation of the teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language and how it has evolved in the last few years.
- Secondly, to establish a meeting place where teachers of Spanish can exchange ideas and experiences.
The programme for the conference is as follows:
Friday 4th November
16.00 – 16.45h: Coffee, enrolment and distribution of material
16.45 – 17.00h: Presentation of the conference
17.00 – 19.00h: Where have we come from? Where are we? And where are we going? Reflections on Spanish as a Foreign Language teaching materials. Neus Sans, Difusión.
Saturday 5th November:
9.30 – 11.00h: Language and image: cognitive representations and grammatical meaning in aspectual contrast. Plácido Ruiz Campillo, Columbia University.
11.00 – 11.30h: Coffee.
11.30 – 13.00h: Towards an interactive learning focus: the Aprendo platform as an innovative teaching tool. Anais Holgado Lage, Dunia Catalina Méndez Vallejo, Adriana Meriño, Le Anne Spino-Seijas and Sylvia Zetterstrand. Princeton University.
13.00 – 14.00h: Lunch.
14.00 – 15.30h: How to make better use of class-time: flipped classrooms. Angelina Craig-Flórez and Reyes Llopis-García. Columbia University.
15.30 – 16.00h: Coffee.
16.00 – 17.30h: Do I like what I do? The emotional development of the Spanish teacher. Fernando López Murcia. Instituto Cervantes.
More information on the webpage of the Instituto Cervantes in New York.
In less than a couple of weeks, on the 14th and 15th October, the 3rd Training Session at the Instituto Cervantes in Vienna will take place. This event, which will deal with the teaching of Spanish to children and young people, is organised with the collaboration of the Education Office of the Spanish Embassy in Vienna, the Austrian Association of Teachers of Spanish and the publishers Edinumen.
The programme is as follows:
Friday 14th October
16.00h: Greetings and presentation
16.15h – 19.30h: “Affective and effective learning of Spanish in classes for young people”, Jane Arnold, University of Seville and Language and Cultural Encounters.
Saturday, 15th October
09.00h – 12.15h: “Techniques and resources to stimulate learning in foreign language classes for children aged 7 to 12”, Izabella Hearn, author (SM, Pearson, Oxford University Press and Bookmark África).
12.30h – 13.15h: Presentation. Edinumen.
- “Tell me a story! Narrative as a mechanism for learning”, Álvaro Sesmillo. Edinumen.
- “Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) in the Spanish class”, Isabel Pérez Torres, Education Office of the Spanish Embassy in Vienna
- “Techniques and games for exploiting first languages of students in the Spanish class”, Zwetelina Ortega. Linguamulti.
- Diversity as a generator of curricular flexibility”, Mariela Álvares.
18.30h: Closing ceremony and awarding of certificates.
Discounts are available for teachers from the Ministry of Education section of the Spanish Embassy in Vienna and for teachers of the Austrian Association of Teachers of Spanish.
More information on the webpage of the Instituto Cervantes de Viena.
Picture copyright: Instituto Cervantes.
The publishers Edinumen are once again organising the ProfELE conference at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen with the aim of assisting the training of Spanish teachers in Germany. This will be the fifth such conference.
Different specialists in the teaching of Spanish will be taking part in the conference which provides an ideal space for sharing with other teachers experiences and teaching proposals for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom.
The programme for the event is as follows:
Saturday 5th November. Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
- 9.30-10.00h. Reception.
- 10.00-10.15h. Opening of the conference.
- 10.15-11.30h. María Carmen Herrero (Manchester Metropolitan University). “Film and The development of intercultural communicative competence in the Spanish language classroom as L2/FL.”
- 11.30-12.00h. Break.
- 12.00-13.15h. Alicia Mellado (Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha). “Let’s speak clearly”
- 13.15-14.15h. Lunch break.
- 14.15-15.15h. Álvaro Sesmilo (Edinumen publishers). “Help me to look: symbols, metaphors and creativity in the learning of an L2”
- 15.15-15.35h. Break.
- 15.35-18.10h. Practical experiences.
- 18.10-18.40h. “Beyond the classroom walls” (Edinumen publishers).
- 18.45h. Raffles and closure.
Each workshop will be a maximum of forty minutes and there are various time slots. The University of La Rioja are collaborating by raffling one of their online postgraduate courses for the teaching of Spanish amongst people taking part in the conference.
As on previous occasions the conference is officially recognised by the Niedersächsisches Landesinstitut für schulische Qualitätsentwicklung (NLQ). In order to obtain a certificate, people attending the conference will have to enrol at VeDaB.
For more information about enrolment please see the conference website.
Image copyright: iturde.
The 51st International AEPE Conference (European Association of Spanish Teachers) has taken place in Palencia from the 25th to the 29th July. More than a hundred people attended the conference, which this year celebrated the 400th anniversary of the death of Miguel de Cervantes.
As they explain on their website, AEPE was founded in 1967 at the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo de Santander as a professional, apolitical and non-profit organisation. The association gets together teachers of Spanish to create professional and social links in order to promote and spread the Spanish language and culture, to exchange points of view and experiences of education, literature and generally of different subjects of common interest related to Spanish teaching.
The programme for the conference contained a wide range of academic speakers and also a series of cultural activities which included visits to places of interest in and around Palencia and different musical performances.
The conference has received the support of the local government of Castilla and León, the Provincial Council and the Palencia town council who hope to show the advantages Palencia has to offer as a destination for Spanish language tourism.
More information on the event: web site.
Photo coyright: Miguel Ángel García.
Considered to be one of the most important Spanish teacher training events, The Encuentro Práctico, organised by International House and the publishers Difusión, will this year celebrate their twenty-fifth event in Barcelona. Wonderful talks, workshops and practical experiences have been planned, all centred on the Spanish language class.
25th Conference Programme
Friday 16th December
- 09.30-10.15h: Submission of documents
- 10.15-10.30h: Opening ceremony of the 25th Encuentro Práctico
- 10.30-11.30h: Lourdes Miquel: Grammar activities: thinking and deciding
- 11.30-12.00h: Coffee break 12.00-13.00h: Jon Andoni Duñabeitia: What are we like, how do we think and how do we feel when we speak a foreign language?
- 13.15-14.15h: Marta Baralo
- 14.15-15.45h: Lunch
- 15.45-16.45h: Juana Muñoz Liceras: Basic research on language acquisition: challenges and sources of inspiration for applied linguistics
- 17.15h: Surprise activity
Saturday 17th December
- 09.30-13.00h Simultaneous workshops: everyone can take part in three workshops
- 13.15-14.00h: Doctor ELE, I’ve got a question
- 14.00-15.30h: Lunch
- 15.30-17.00h: Simultaneous workshops
- 17.15-18.00h: Practical experiences
- 18.15h: Raffle and a Christmas toast
As they say on their webpage: Many things have happened since 1991 when a small group of teachers decided to get together at International House Barcelona to exchange experiences in a newly developing professional environment: Spanish has made great advances everywhere, we have all learned a lot, Spanish as a Foreign Language has become a dynamic speciality with amazing professionals and research has been consolidated.