Just another WordPress site
Difusión, the publishers, are proposing that we enjoy two days in Madrid at their 8th Educational Conference for Teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language. They are organising the conference in collaboration with PROLINTER (Programme of Languages for Internationalisation) from the Universidad Politécnica in Madrid. SIELE, FEDELE and Madrid Destino are sponsoring the event and the Instituto Cervantes is taking part.
The conference will be held over two days, 3rd and 4th March 2017, at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Minas y Energía de la Universidad Politécnica, a building that has been declared a “historic and artistic monument”.
The programme for the conference is as follows:
Friday, 3rd March
- 15:00 – 15:30 Registration
- 15:30 – 15:45 Opening
- 15:45 – 16:45 Consuelo Triviño (Instituto Cervantes). From home language to universal language: Pan Hispanic Spanish in the era of globalisation.
- 16:45 – 17:00 Break
- 17:00 – 18:00 Rafael Bisquerra (University of Barcelona). The universe of emotions 18:00 – 18:15 Break
- 18:15 – 19:15 José Amenós (Universidad Complutense de Madrid). Not all close languages are the same: grammar and cognition, beyond transference.
- 19:30 – 20:30 Musical performance.
Saturday, 4th March
- 9:30 – 10:45 Simultaneous workshops (first time-slot)
10:45 – 11:15 Coffee break
- 11:15 – 12:45 José P. Ruiz Campillo (University of Columbia). A thousand imperfects, one imperfect: when grammar is image.
- 12:45 – 13:15 SIELE presentation
- 13:15 – 13:45 Difusión space
- 13:45 – 16:00 Break
- 16:15 – 18:15 Presentation of Difusión and PROLINTER (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid) prizes for 2017 for the best Spanish as a Foreign Language Teaching based on information and communication technology)
- 18:15 – 18:30 Raffle of teaching material
- 18:30 – 19:00 Presentation of certificates
The programme and all information is available on the Difusión webpage.
Once again it’s the time of year for signing up for the Foro de Profesores de ELE en Valencia. This time, the twelfth year of the conference, the event will take place on the 11th and 12th of March at the Facultat de Filología, Traducció i Comunicació.
This year’s programme is already available if you are interested and can be downloaded with this link. You can also enrol on the same webpage.
Proposals for the “practical experiences” can also be made now. The deadline for sending proposals, on the online form on the above website, is the 30th of January. The selected proposals will be shown during the conference and may be published in the conference journal.
Workshops at the conference include the following:
- Multiple doors of entry to the minds of our students, Dayanne Monica Cordeiro and Laura Pérez Sánchiz (Universitat de València y EDUCANDO Consultoría).
- Beyond paper. The use of e-portfolios in the language class, Paula Lorente Fernández (Instituto des langues vivantes, Université de Lovain, UCL, Belgium)
- The teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language: affective and effective, Jane Arnold (Universidad de Sevilla).
- Teaching listening and understanding in Spanish as a Foreign Language, Susana Martín Leralta.
- Round table discussion: Emotional factors in student centred teaching. The discussion will be led by Ana Indira Franco (Instituto Cervantes) with the participation of Matilde Martínez (Difusión) and Eva Teba (Universidad Camilo José Cela).
Image copyright: Pixabay.
Once again we are pleased to inform our readers about the practical conference organised by International House Barcelona and the publishers Difusión.
This conference, which will take place on the 18th and 19th December, will give ELE (Spanish as a Foreign Language) teachers the opportunity to attend theory classes given by experts and researchers into the learning and teaching of Spanish, to attend practical workshops and to exchange classroom experiences with other Spanish as a Foreign Language teachers from the five continents – more than four hundred of them attend the conference.
This year’s programme includes the following:
- Estrella Montolío (Universitat de Barcelona): “New perspectives on connectors and structures of texts”.
- Encina Alonso (teacher, teacher trainer and author) opens the section “The ELE sofa” with “We want to continue as teachers of Spanish” with an interview by Francisco Herrera (CLIC International House Cádiz) to celebrate 30 years of International House teacher training courses.
- Reyes Llopis (Columbia University): “The contribution of Cognitive Linguistics to the teaching of grammar in Spanish as a Foreign Language: ideas for its application”.
- Scott Thornbury (New School, New York): “Fossilization: Is it terminal?”
As well as the usual practical teaching experiences, conference participants will be able to take part in other events, for instance as mentors in a speed dating for teachers with and without experience and in Doctor ELE.
More information can be found on the conference webpage.
Image copyright: Encuentro Práctico.
If you are a Spanish as a Foreign Language professional you are sure to know about the work of the International Federation of Associations of Teachers of Spanish (FIAPE). It is made up of sixteen national associations and fourteen thousand Spanish teachers.
Their webpage points out that the aim of the federation is to promote the idea of forming associations both in the sector and at an international level with the idea of acting as a platform for collaboration between professionals of Spanish as a Foreign Language who are living abroad.
• FIAPE is currently made up of the following associations:
• AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese) of the United States
• AADPE (Austrian Association of Spanish Teachers) of Austria
• ABR (Association of Hispanicists of the Russian Federation) of Russia
• ACH (Korean Association of Hispanicists) of Korea
• AEPE (European Association of Spanish Teachers)
• AFDE (French Association of Spanish Teachers) of France
• AHPE (Hungarian Association of Spanish Teachers) of Hungary
• ANPE (Norwegian Association of Spanish Teachers) Norway
• APECHI (Association of Spanish Teachers of Cyprus) of Cyprus
• APEE + APEOS (Association of Spanish Teachers of Stockholm and Association of Spanish Teachers of Western Sweden) of Sweden
• APEERJ (Association of Teachers of Spanish in the State of Rio de Janeiro) of Brazil
• Mongolian Association of Hispanicists
• ASOVELE (Venezuelan Association for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language) of Venezuela
• ATS-K (Association of Teachers of Spanish – Kenya)
• AUS (Association of Spanish Teachers of the Czech Republic) of the Czech Republic
• CAPES (Coordinator of the Associations of Spanish Teachers in Sweden) of Sweden
• DSLV (German Association of Spanish Teachers) of Germany
• IATS (Irish Association of Spanish Teachers) of Ireland
• SBPE (Belgian Society of Spanish Teachers) of Belgium
FIAPE is aiming to spread the Spanish language and Hispanic culture, to support Spanish teachers socially, politically and economically and also to support their work as promoters of Spanish and to coordinate the different associations of Spanish teachers in order to offer services to their members and to organise a variety of different events which may be of general interest to everyone.
For more information about FIAPE visit their webpage.
Image credits: Cybrarian77.
FEDELE is pleased to announce the forthcoming International Congress of ASELE which is now in its 26th year. This year the conference will be held from the 16th to the 19th September at the School of Modern Languages of the University of Granada.
The main focus of the conference will be on the training and responsibilities of teachers of Spanish abroad. The proposed topics of discussion are as follows:
1.- Institutional dimension
- The contribution of the Council of Europe documents: European profile of teachers of foreign languages; the European Framework of Reference (2004) and the European portfolio for trainee language teachers (2007)
- The contribution of the Cervantes Institute documents: What does it mean to be a good teacher of Spanish as a foreign language? (2011) and The main responsibilities of teachers of second and foreign languages (2012)
- The usefulness of the European profiling grid for language teachers, EPG (2013)
2.- Professional dimension:
- Initial training for Spanish as a Foreign Language teachers
- Postgraduate training
- On-going training and professional development
- Classroom observation and teacher´s thoughts
- Evaluation of teaching practice
- Professional prospects
- Professional ethics
Areas of expertise:
- Language competence. Native or non-native teachers
- Metalinguistic consciousness
- Knowledge of other languages
- Methodology: knowledge and skills; planning of lessons and courses; classroom management and interaction; selection and creation of resource material.
- Cultural and inter-cultural skills
- Digital skills
- Evaluation techniques
It has already been confirmed that the well-known specialist teacher trainers Elena Verdía and Jenaro Ortega will be taking part in the academic programme.
For more information please visit the Conference website.
In a few days´ time the 5th CEDELEQ colloquium will take place. This is the big Spanish as a Foreign Language event in Quebec and one of the most important in Canada.
It is organised by the University of McGill, the Spanish Embassy´s education attaché, the Spanish Resource Centre, the University of Montreal, UQAM (the University of Quebec in Montreal) and the Association of Teachers of Spanish in Quebec.
The following topics will be dealt with at the conference:
- Grammar and teaching/learning methods
- New technologies
- Teaching materials for the Spanish as a Foreign Language classroom
- Language and culture
- Standards and variations
- Educational frameworks and teacher training
The fundamental aim of the event is to enable teachers and researchers to meet in a discussion forum to discuss recent contributions in the field of teaching and learning of Spanish and their implications for the classroom.
It will take place from the 7th to 9th of May at the University of McGill in Quebec.
More information on this event on their webpage.
Image credits for this article: Simon Desmarais.
This is the time of year to announce Foroele in Valencia. This year, the ninth for this Spanish as a Foreign Language Congress, the event will be held on the 6th and 7th of March, at the Faculty of Philology, Translation and Communication at the University of Valencia.
We remind our readers that the event is led by Antonio Briz Gómez, Virginia García and Jorge Martí Contreras. It is intended as an exchange of teaching experiences for everyone interested in the teaching and research of the Spanish language.
Foroele has become an important discussion space, offering a complete range of innovative and effective ideas to stimulate and improve classroom activities.
The conference is organised in two parts: the first, teacher training, in which well-known researchers set out the advances made in the world of Spanish as a Foreign Language; and a second more inter-active part in which conference participants exchange their practical experiences.
The programme for the conference is as follows:
Friday, 6th March 2015
9.00 – 9.30 Enrollment and giving out of material
9.30 – 9.45 Opening
9.45 – 10.45 Inaugural address
10.45 – 11.00 Break
11.00 – 12.30 Workshops A y B (at the same time)
12.30 – 14.00 Workshops C and D (at the same time)
16.00 – 17.30 Workshops A y B (at the same time)
17.30 – 18.00 Presentation by the publisher Difusión
18.00 – 18.30 Break. Coffee
18.30 – 20.00 Workshops C and D (at the same time)
21.00 Conference dinner (open to everyone, speakers and participants)
Saturday, 7th March 2015
9.30 – 11.30 Practical experiences
11.30 – 12.00 Break
12.00 – 14.00 Practical experiences
16.00 – 18.00 Practical experiences
18.00 – 18.30 Break. Coffee
18.30 – 19.30 Closing address
19.30 Prize draw
More information on this event at the following link.
Image copyright: Erio
As is usual at this time of year, the Cervantes International School has sent out information about the Fifth National Forum which this year has the slogan “Gamification and Specific Purposes”. The forum will take place on the 30th and 31st of January in the local heritage museum of Malaga.
At this meeting the speakers and the participants intend to reply to questions related to games and the teaching of Spanish. How do we play with our students? What tools do we use? Is there relevant material already published? Is there an age for games? Is it necessary to create material for games for all ages or do they exist for each age group?
As far as Spanish for Specific Purposes is concerned, the questions to be asked are: Do publishers have relevant material for this type of student? How can we integrate the cultural component into these specific courses? And the lexical component? What is the best way to train Spanish teachers for Specific Purposes?
A detailed programme, parallel activities and the registration form can be found on the web page for the event.